Thursday, September 26, 2013

Hokkaido (red kuri) squash soup

Autumn is the time of squashes, there is no doubt about that. The only question is which ones you like best - butternut, hokkaido, autumn cup or something else entirely. My idea of autumn deliciousness is hokkaido. In every possible form.

My son adores soups (strange, I know. Husband claims those are definitely not his genes.), I adore hokkaido squashes, ergo there's plenty of hokkaido soup being consumed in our house these days. ;-)

So first up is a recipe for a soup. Next time I'll share how I roast the squash.


036 (3)

Ingredients
(Serves 3)

1/2 of a large hokkaido (red kuri) squash
2 medium potatoes
salt
freshly ground pepper
ground nutmeg
3 spoons of creme fraiche
a few drops of olive oil
sunflower seeds
croutons or rusk

Wash the squash, halve it and remove the seeds. Dice the squash and peeled potatoes and add just enough water to cover them. Boil for about fifteen minutes or until fork tender.

At this point, I remove some of the water and store it in another container because I want to make sure the soup won't be too watery. I puree the squash and potatoes and then add the left-over water as necessary.

Season the soup with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Before serving add the creme fraiche, a few drops of olive oil, sunflower seeds, and croutons. Serve warm, with a slice of toasted bread. Perfect comfort food.

040 (5)

2 comments:

  1. found this recipe just in time for halloween and it was beautiful. thanks!


    http://spaceistheonlynoise.blogspot.co.at/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Johanna! So glad it was a success. :-)

    ReplyDelete