Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ze coat

Voilá! It took me almost two months but now the coat is finally done! Ok, so I didn't spend the entire two months sewing it, but with two short vacations in between and multiple other projects, it ended up on the backburner for quite a few weeks.

I used the double breasted Talea pattern from BurdaStyle.com. The fabric is a wool blend. I'm not exactly thrilled with the color, I wanted something with a bit more greyish tinge or more greenish blue, but this was the best I could get. It's fairly thick and super warm.
I also changed the shape of the pocket. Instead of the round line I made it in a straight line because I thought it looked better.
I'm in love with the buttons, but they were a pain to sew because the fabric is so thick. I pricked my finger more times than I can count and it hurt for two days, but what matters is the final result.

I adjusted the length of the coat so it's more a jacket because I'm short and too long coats make me look even shorter.



I borrowed juebejue's trick with the buttons so I can button the front parts even when I wear the jacket open, this way avoiding the fabric getting too bulky in front. And it also looks super cool. :)


The coat itself was fairly easy to make despite having to adjust the original Talea pattern to get the pattern for the double-breasted version. I also did some adjusting of my own - the already mentioned different shape of the pockets and the shorter length.

I wanted to line the entire coat, not just the sleeves like the pattern suggested. This proved to be very tricky. In fact, it took me the same amount of time to sew buttons and make holes and line the coat as it did to sew the coat itself.

I used a smooth fabric for the lining so that it slips on nicely even if you're wearing a wool cardigan underneath. I hate the coat snagging on your clothing.

I used the 38 size that I usually wear and the coat is still wide enough for me to wear it now, during pregnancy. I imagine I should be able to wear it for quite a few more weeks. Which is great, of course, with the colder days closing in.

All in all, I'm terribly satisfied with the way it turned out. It's definitely the best jacket/coat I ever made and I'm sure I'll be wearing it for a long time to come.

4 comments:

  1. I saw this on Burdastyle and just wanted to say how lovely your coat is! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that's very kind of you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing coat!! those buttons are really nice :) Everything looks so neat and tidy. Looks like you're a PRO!!

    ReplyDelete